LoJack to Help Newcastle Police Recover Stolen Cars
Newcastle Police Department patrol cars are all now equipped with specialized technology called LoJack to help recover stolen vehicles.
Story- LoJack uses radio frequency technology to transmit a signal that helps officers track and recover stolen vehicles. If your vehicle is equipped with LoJack and a driver files a stolen vehicle report, officers enter it into a national stolen car database, activating the LoJack System. After it’s activated, the system will send a signal allowing officers to locate the vehicle.
Stolen vehicles equipped with LoJack have a 90 percent recovery rate. It’s also the only vehicle recovery system that is directly integrated with law enforcement across the country.
This system will help police bring your stolen vehicles home, but it’s not the only measure you can take to protect your property. Here are a few tips from the Newcastle Police Department to prevent auto thefts and car prowls:
• Close all windows and lock your car; do not leave keys in the vehicle.
• Don’t leave the sun roof open or windows rolled down.
• Use a secondary steering wheel locking device, such as The Club.
• Lock your motorcycle wheel.
• Remove all loose items from the vehicle, especially items of value such as laptop computers, GPS units, purses and wallets.
• Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
• Park your vehicle in a garage.
• If you have to leave something in your car, place it in the trunk or other secure location prior to arriving at your destination. Do not do it after you have parked your car.
• If you observe any criminal or suspicious activity, do not hesitate to immediately call 911 or the non-emergency dispatch number 206-296-3311