A house fire at 11:32am in the 22300 block of 117th Ave SE started in the chimney box and extended into the attic. The owner, while burning some papers in the fireplace, heard noise in the wall by her chimney and went outside to find flames coming from where the chimney box connects to the roof. She then called 911 and waited outside for the fire department to arrive.
Puget Sound Fire Engine 77 was the first to arrive and quickly applied water from the outside knocking the flames down and then made entry into the home. Fire was discovered in the wall and attic next to the fireplace, which was also extinguished.
No one was hurt in the fire.
In addition to Puget Sound Fire units, Renton Regional Fire Authority, King County Medic One, and Rehab 1 responded and aided in putting the fire out.
American Red Cross and Washington Water Damage provide immediate help to the home owners.
Puget Sound Fire Investigators ruled the cause of the fire to be accidental due to the high heat igniting debris in the chimney box.
Puget Sound Fire would like to remind Home owners that if you are using your fire place to have an annual inspection. Also, a reminder that if your fireplace has not been in use for an extended period of time have it checked for debris and small animal homes before lighting a fire.